Thursday 5 September 2013


"Opening to the World of Plants"

In my recent blog I shared with people how I was channeling my energy into talking more about herbs and sharing remedies and teachings from the plants themselves. I had never done this before and I had no idea where to begin...it just felt clear this was the path to follow. There is such a broad world to talk about and explore!  Someone suggested I speak from the heart and begin where I am, so this afternoon I went for a walk asking the plants themselves what they wanted me to share.

I ventured out and walked towards the woods just beyond the rail trail.  I met the willow with its broken limbs and bent trunk. I saw garlic mustard everywhere, some pretty little flowers that looked like dragons, dandelion leaves and wild lettuce. There was some queen anne's lace and a lot of goldenrod that has not come into bloom yet. I saw thistle with its tip of purple beauty crowning a stem of thorns and a giant burdock behind the garbage bin. Wild grape vines were sweeping all over the chain link fence with little yellow flowers peeking out the metal holes and motherwort scattered amongst them. Close to my door I was greeted by plantain and purslane.

So what were they saying? What do these plants want to tell me? Could it be they are saying, "Here we are, right in your own back yards, on your city streets. We are here to feed you and provide you with medicines you need!  We are everywhere! You just have to see and know us for who we are! We are not the “obnoxious” weeds that grow beside the garbage and the roadside. We have value, truly we do! The medicines and nutrients we have to offer are beyond measure. Just come out and see. Be with us. Just look and listen"

So, where do I begin? What shall I tell? I think about our relationships with the plants and I go back in my mind to my own journey with the plants. I have always had a relationship with the plants however I never truly saw them. They were like constant acquaintances that I might see every day. Some I talked to and said hi, others I sought for support and nurturing, and some I just admired their beauty.  I never truly sought them out to understand them at a deeper level until about 7 years ago. I wanted to know everything! I ran right out and started a course on Practical Herbalism. I was determined to learn these plants and know their medicine. I signed up for workshops and went to classes. I was going to know how to identify the plants and make my own remedies!

Well...I can certainly say that I have definitely learned a thing or two since that time.

I have done some studying with Susun Weed and she has said repeatedly how the best way to start is with one plant at a time. At the time I thought that was crazy. One at a time!? I was almost 50! I would be 80 years old before I learned anything! I now understand that bit of wisdom much more. Developing a relationship with the plants is somewhat similar to developing relationships with people. If you choose to meet 25 people at the same time you would know much less about them than if you met 1 or 2. Your level of intimacy would be dramatically different and you would have much less opportunity to understand the vast array of gifts and talents they might have to offer. You just wouldn't have the time to invest in the relationship. I would imagine the trust level between you would also be much stronger if you only met 1 or 2. 

Have you also ever considered the possibility that the plants may also 'choose' to share their gifts with you.... or not? Is it possible they also need a level of intimacy to show themselves? It may sound strange, however, if we are in fact all energy then would it not make sense that the more time you spend with someone and honor them the more they open and resonate with your vibration?

I invite you to consider it for a time and think about a plant that you have felt close to, one you love or have admired from afar.  Spend some time with it, sing or talk with it, sit, draw or meditate and really begin to listen and be with the plant. See what arises and notice a world opening up that you took for granted before.

I am noticing there is a world that is opening here as well. I feel like the plants have begun their teaching. I still have no set agenda about what I will share specifically from this point on; however, I have a feeling if I keep all my senses open that will become very clear. I am intrigued and excited to begin the journey and hope you are as well!

Enjoy your new found relationships!

For enquiries about workshops with the plants (and other services) Ana can be reached at:





No comments:

Post a Comment