Saturday 1 August 2015

Becoming an Ally

It has been a pretty busy summer and I have not spent much time writing at all. Much more action than contemplation.

Lately though I have been contemplating a lot within myself how I as a privileged white woman can be an ally for so many who face oppression, violence and discrimination on a daily basis. I have actually walked around with this question in my head for quite awhile without actually doing anything beyond posting a few things on Facebook of the incidences that have been public as of late. It really is beyond time for me to just think about it.

A couple weeks ago I posted a picture of myself on Facebook sitting in a kayak, sharing my excitement of the fact that I was able to experience this opportunity. I certainly do not want to diminish the fun that I had, however, what I did not acknowledge or share was the eye opening experience I received while kayaking around the lake. It actually was not all so pleasant. As a matter of fact there were moments that felt a little disturbing.

I kayaked in different directions for quite a distance both days because I had heard there was a river and I desperately wanted to find a space where I could commune with nature rather than cruise by the suburban like edges of the lake with its numerous cottages. Numerous, Enormous cottages. As I continued to paddle across the lake and through the channels I began noticing how EVERY SINGLE person who was in their boat or at their cottage was white...EVERY SINGLE one.....except for.... one small black girl standing on a dock amongst a white family. There were a LOT of cottages and a LOT of boats. All white.

I have probably witnessed this scene a hundred times throughout my life but never were my eyes open enough to see the imbalance of power and privilege. It struck me with such clarity of why so many white people might choose to remain silent and turn a blind eye to what is going on amongst so many other races. Grandparents playing on the beach with their grandchildren, couples and families lounging in their chairs by the  water, friends and family racing by in their luxurious motor boats. A world away from the chaos, from the harsh cold realities of life in society. Their own little piece of heaven.

Certainly, these people would not want to give this up. Of course not. If we began to open our minds to the cold truths of the imbalance and injustice in the world we might, just might have to start questioning the imbalance of wealth and we might have to start looking at how we participate in this. Blindly participating, absolutely. Unconsciously, oh yes. Most of us are basically good people and would never want to participate in anyone's else's pain and suffering.

Never did I think I was participating. Not really. I am a good person. I speak out when I witness people around me being hurt. Funny thing was I did not really realize until the last ten years or so how most of my life I lived in white middle class societies where it was quite the big deal if there was a couple of black people in our schools. I simply did  not see. I was not educated and I had many veils over my eyes....I was too sheltered and self absorbed to look at the big picture beyond my own personal experience and pain.

...and then my daughter's started growing up. I began changing and started feeling unsettled in these towns. I was also a single mom and I needed to find affordable housing...something not too accessible in these nice quaint towns and rural settings....so I moved to the city.

This is truly when I began to see truth, hear truth, and know truth. I started listening and paying attention.The young people have a lot to teach us. In my experience the young people are the ones beginning to take action, create change, speak their truth out loud. They are teaching me and I am waking up. I am learning. A little every day. Now it is time to share truth.

Today I asked myself how I can be more of an ally in my own little piece of the world. I am not an "activist" so to speak. I just want to act.  I began doing research and came across this article that expanded my knowledge a little bit more and gave me a tool kit of the things I can do in my every day life.

http://www.scn.org/friends/ally.html

Some days I do speak out....against a racist "joke" or phrase that is disrepectful. I share what I see and hear about some act of injustice or racism. I don't feel like there is a lot I can do from where I am in my life right now, but I do know a little might go a long way...especially if we all did our little bit every day.

Just a little.

I know it may be inappropriate in some way to say "All Lives Matter" but to me they simply do. Right now though it is about the violence and injustice against the black people that is very evident and today that is the place I speak from.

Black Lives matter.

It continues to be a learning experience for me as I learn what language is supportive. How we speak matters. As I grow and learn I only hope to speak in respectful ways towards all people.

We are all connected.

We are all from the same Source. All of us.

We are ALL Divine Beings.

Lets start treating each other as such.


The Spirit within me salutes the Spirit within you <3



Blessed Be










1 comment:

  1. Awesome article! Spoken honestly & from the heart. I love the Maya quote, too. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete